Christ the King Parish began as a small congregation of 35 who celebrated the first Mass at St. Catherine’s Academy on North Limestone Street in 1945. In 1947 that congregation relocated to a prefabricated building on the current grounds between Providence and Colony roads. In 1951 Christ the King School opened its doors to students. By 1967 the parish had grown to about 800 families and the school had 625 students enrolled. This was also the year that the new church and rectory were dedicated. In 1988, as directed by Pope John Paul II, the Diocese of Lexington was formed and Christ the King became the Cathedral for the 50 counties in the diocese.